Hey, many topics and groups are in the private area.
For access to the entire community, register with us.

Growing up bilingual

edited August 2016 in Growth & Parenting
Our boy is growing up bilingual as my husband is Scottish and I am Austrian. He speaks English to him, my family German and me both. I think it’s sad that some bilingual parents don’t teach their kids both languages as it’s a great start for them to be fluent in more than one language.

I read that kids growing up with two languages can take longer to start speaking and they will mix both languages in the beginning.

Are there any bilingual parents out there? Maybe you can tell me how it was with your child. Would be interesting to hear about your experiences.

Mumofone

Comments

• My daughter and my son are growing up bilingual. I'm Dutch and my husband is British. I am speaking just Dutch with them and he just English and
    we are strict about that. My daughter is 1 and two months old and sometimes she mixes both languages. My son he is three now and improves both languages from
    day to day. He has no problems separating both languages. When they are old enough I will teach them to read and write in Dutch.
  • This is something really important to me. I've bought a lot of kids games, toys, music, dvds and books to help my children to be be bilingual.

I think when there are specific things that are only done or talked about in the target language that will make it easier, so I intend to specify some topics like that for my baby. I've fallen off a little with my older kids over the years.