Hey, many topics and groups are in the private area.
For access to the entire community, register with us.

Did you christen your baby?

edited August 2016 in Growth & Parenting
Neither my husband nor I are religious people like many young people nowadays so we have decided not to christen our boy just because of traditional reasons.

It seems that many people still christen their babies even if they do not believe in god. I don’t really understand that to be honest. Fair enough if you are religious but if you are not why christen him or her?

We just had a little celebration with the family where we announced who we would like to be the guardian in case anything should happen to us.

We are planning on teaching him about different religions so when he is older he can choose what he wants to believe in himself.

So my question is, are you religious and did you christen your child? Was it maybe just because that is what you do? Or do you or your family have another religion and you don’t believe in but still raise your baby in that religion?

Would be interested to hear your views

mumofone

Comments

• I haven't Christened any of my babies. I didn't know people do it without having those religious beliefs. A lot of people have the beliefs and still don't do a Christening. I do think it's important to name a person who would be a guardian if something were to happen, but I find it so difficult to choose a person for that.

I wonder how others have decided and how long it took to make a decision?

• We are religious but we do not christen our babies. We believe that being baptized is a choice for each individual. Therefore, you must be old enough to know what are you are doing before a baptism is necessary. As for guardianship of the children, we have added those instructions to our Will. This is far more binding legally and makes it very clear as to what our wishes are.

• At my church we do a "dedication". It is similar to a Christening, but it just is saying a blessing and committing to raise the child in the church and welcoming them to the church family. Usually there are several babies and parents taking place in each dedication and the congregation reads back or sings back certain Bible verses or hymns in relation to the child.