Hey, many topics and groups are in the private area.
For access to the entire community, register with us.

Child benefits

edited July 2016 in Law & Authorites
Here in Austria child benefits and child support money is quite a lot for the first 12-30 month depending on which form you choose. Combined with my husband’s income we manage to be able to afford everything we need. Would I be a single mother or my husband stop working though I think it would be tough to manage.

I am not sure how this works in the UK.
How are you getting on with the funds available to you? Do you think there is enough support?

Mumofone

Comments

• In the U.S. you don't get any child benefits unless you file for child support because you don't live with your child's father.

You can get on government medical if you can't afford your own medical or you can apply for welfare if you don't work or have a very low income. If you are struggling but don't meet the qualifications for U.S welfare benefits you have to either go without or ask someone close to you for help.

I would like to understand better what these benefits are in Europe.

• Being a single mother in the United States can be hard. If you don't qualify for welfare benefits, then you are pretty much on your own. If the father doesn't pay the court ordered child support you can take them to court but there are many ways around paying. In my case, the boy's father just doesn't work. If he did they would garnish his wages. As it is, they send him to jail about once a year for around thirty days. That's it. It really doesn't help us much.

• It is really unfortunate how child support works in the U.S. If they are sending him to jail, it would be beneficial to have him make money while he's in jail and send it to his child.

• @yogimama said:
    It is really unfortunate how child support works in the U.S. If they are sending him to jail, it would be beneficial to have him make money while he's in jail and send it to his child.

Yeah. It really doesn't help things. It just makes him mad and makes the boys ask where he is and why they can't see him.

• in our state, child support is figured using a formula. The formula uses ratios of the father's income vs. the mother's income and adjusted for the time that the child spends with each parent. A friend of mine is divorced from her husband and even though he only has the children every other weekend, she ends up paying him child support because he won't work and she has such a high income. I have always though this was incredibly ridiculous.

• It does seem like the whole child support system is really inefficient. I think it shouldn't be paid to the other parent. If both parents spend money on the child, why does one parent get to decide how the other parent's money is spent on the child? Especially since there isn't anyone checking to see if the parent is really spending the money on the child.

What if the child doesn't have the things they really need, even though they are receiving child support? There's way too many loopholes around that. I'm not sure what the answer is, but I'm sure something could be made a lot better than it is now.